Global Spirit, Ctra. de la Sierra, s/n, 18412 Bubión, Granada, Spain
Telephone +34 (9)54 189192
Fax +34 (9)54 18 91 93
Send us a message
La Alpujarra...a rural paradise
La Alpujarra is unique, an area of stunning natural beauty with a delightful climate, it has almost completely avoided the ravages of twentieth century life. Dominated by the magnificent rugged peaks of Spainīs highest mountain range, the Sierra Nevada, the foothills of the southern slopes are cut by deep, fertile valleys, rich with groves of almonds and olives, oranges and lemons, cherry orchards and terraced pastures.
There are panoramic views in every direction, from the snow-capped peaks of Veleta and Mulhacen rising spectacularly to 12,000 feet, to the coastal hills. At sunset, the Rif Mountains of Morocco are sometimes clearly visible 125 miles away, across the Mediterranean.
The variety of landscape and the contrasts in topography have given la Alpujarra a wealth of diversified plant life; the region has the largest number of unique botanical species in Europe. Herds of mountain goats, wild boar, eagles, goshawks and partridge inhabit the sierra. The area has been declared aNatural Park by the Government of Andalucia and UNESCO has granted it Biosphere Reserve status.
Just twenty miles from the Costa del Sol, the climate is typical of Andalucia, warm and sunny with crystal-clear, blue skies throughout most of the year. The mountain air is the cleanest in Europe and, because of the altitude, the heat in mid-summer is not overbearing as it can be in much of Spain.
La Alpujarra is the name given to this region by the Moors, who remained hidden in these hills for over 100 years after their retreat from their Kingdom in Granada.
Their legacy is to be seen everywhere, not least in the architecture of the delightful mountain villages, built in typical Berber style. The whitewashed stone houses with their characteristic flat roofs and prominent chimney pots, cluster haphazardly in narrow, twisting streets. Many are adorned with summer flowers.
The pace of village life is slow and tranquil. It is not unusual to see sheep or goats herded through the village streets, or senior citizens relaxing on shady corners, watching the world go by.
The trappings of mass-tourism are thankfully absent, but it is easy to find attractive restaurants and bars where the gastronomic delights of the region as well as international dishes may be savoured. La Alpujarra has long been a home for artists and writers, attracted to the area by its enchanting beauty. Local potters, weavers and carpenters display the fruits of their labour in the village craft shops.
For visitors who wish to explore further afield, the historic city of Granada with its magnificent Arab palace and gardens, La Alhambra, is just an hour away by car. To the south, the Mediterranean coastal resorts of the Costa del Sol are the same distance. Excellent skiing can be enjoyed on the Sierra Nevada slopes, home for the1996 World Alpine Ski Championships.
It is quite possible to ski in the morning, sunbathe on the coast in the afternoon and still have plenty of time to relax and enjoy the setting sun over the Alpujarreñan hills, there are few places on earth that can offer this.
About GLOBAL SPIRIT....
Global Spirit is the only organisation which specialises exclusively in holidays to La Alpujarra. We are located in Bubión in the Poqueira Ravine, in the heart of this beautiful region. Our knowledge of the area is unrivalled. Our staff, and the guides we use, both for horse riding and walking tours, are fluent in English.
We are conscious of the special environment we live, and we only offer quality holidays for people who will appreciate the experience which la Alpujarra can offer. It is our aim to introduce this beautiful region of Spain to those who know little about it, and to provide an experience which will stay with them for ever.
Throughout the year we offer a full programme of holiday possibilities, which we will tailor to meet your exact requirements.....
- Beautiful houses for self-catering holidays, both in villages of la Alpujarra and in 'cortijos' (farmhouses) in the surrounding countryside. Our properties are carefully chosen for style, quality and character and are equipped with everything you will require for your stay.
- Walking tours, accompanied by an experienced local guide. Explore the mountains and the picturesque villages of la Alpujarra on foot, following ancient mule paths through beautiful countryside. Daily walks (with picnic) or complete walking holidays for small groups.
- Horse riding, accompanied by an experienced local guide. For two hours, for the day or complete trekking holidays, travelling from village to village, staying in "posadas" (traditional inns) along the way, for three, five or seven days.
- Excursions by 4 wheel drive Land Rover to the higher peaks and more inaccessible parts of the Sierra Nevada. Explore the mountains and their unique flora and fauna.
Mountain bike hire, by the hour or the week or complete tours both for experienced riders and for those who prefer to take it more gently.
- Excellent cross-country skiing on the beautiful southern slopes of la Sierra Nevada, both for beginners and experienced skiers.
- Hang-Gliding, comprehensive training courses as well as single flights, accompanied by a qualified instructor.
- Visits to the isolated Buddhist retreat, set high in the hills above Bubión, birthplace of Osel to local Spanish parents, one of the first lamas born in the West, reincarnation of the Tibetan lama, Thubten Yeshe.
- 'Sol y Nieve' holidays, combining a few days in the very attractive coastal resort of Nerja on the Costa del Sol with a few days in la Alpujarra.
Painting, photographic and pottery classes both for beginners and advanced students.
- Excellent conference facilities are available, ideal for companies or special interest groups wishing to work in a relaxing and harmonious environment.
- In Bubión, we have an active programme of courses and events throughout the year including yoga, marshal-arts, revitalisation and meditation, dance, exhibitions and music.
- Special Interest Groups and classes can be arranged upon request for group activities, anything from architectural study groups to tai-chi or flamenco dance classes. Ask and we will endeavour to arrange it for you.
- Transfers to and from Malaga international and Granada airports can be arranged upon request.
GLOBAL SPIRIT, Ctra. de la Sierra, s/n, 18412 BUBIÓN, Granada, Spain.
Telephone. +34 (9)54 189192. Fax. +34 (9)54 18 91 93.